WHAT`s NEW ?
A reversed chronological review of recently posted items (latest at the top !)
- A vintage iron "Sink-Die" for manufacturing Regtl. buttons - (Page 5, Artefacts - various)
- Bren-Gun Sentry of the Royal Sussex Regiment, Pinwe, Burma 1944.
(The Regiment in Photographs - 1939 to 1945 - Burma)
- Bench Memorial Plaque to Cpl. Albert Crane of "The Shiny Ninth".
(Page 10, Memorials & Plaques - National Arboretum, Surrey)
- On "Current News" - Recommunication.......now James "Jock" Ongley in Lemgo.
New & latest entries/items posted after 15th July 2017
The Band of the 9th (The Shiny Ninth) Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment 1940 - (Recruit & Group Photos)
The Officers of the 7th Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment - UK - 1915 - (Recruit & Group
"A" Coy, 11th (Southdown) Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment - Cooden - 1914 - (Recruit & Group Photos)
Queens Regiment cap-badges in Gold & Silver
(Page 4, Badges - Home
Counties & Queens Regiment)
- Unidentified roughly casted version ??? of the Officers Silver Cap-Badge
(Page 4, Badges - Cap-Badges Officer`s)
- Sweetheart Brooch to the Queens Regiment with 30 set Diamonds in Gold & Silver. (Page 3, Jewellery - "Diamonds are
- Wreathed Sweetheart Brooch in Sterling Silver - (Page 3, Jewellery - Sweetheart Brooches) There are now an unbelievable, 192 Brooches posted without doubles !!
- Rare Sweetheart Brooch with Gold on Tortoise Shell - (Page 3, Jewellery - Sweetheart Brooches)
- anon 267 - Unknown Royal Sussex Regiment 2nd/Lt. of WW2 - (Page 6, The Anonymous Ones)
- Martin Dunne, now on "Current News - Recommunication" - above the Message Board.
- The well-known "Crinkly" Regimental porcelane vase - (Page 5, Artefacts - Porcelane)
RARE - Recruit Photo from April 1966 (Thanks, Martin Dunne !) - (Page 1, Recruit & Group Photos)
- BARROW 2 (edit)
- LEANEY 2
- HOWELL 2
- The new Memorial to Nelson Carter VC in the Redoubt Gardens, Eastbourne.
(Page 10, Regimental Memorials & Plaques)
- A small tribute to Charles Stadden & his work - on "Current News" above the Message Board
- SMITH 2 (91)
- FISHER 7
- BEST 1
- New "Covering" pic of Royal Sussex Lewis Gunner, on the Home Page,
opposite the Poem "The Clerk".
- SAYERS 2 (A)
- SAYERS 2 (B)
- WATERS 1
- WICKHAM 3
- MITCHELL 8
- MALCHER (edit)
- FOORD 2
- A Christmas Card from the Arakan, mid Nov.1944, from 5595609 L/Cpl. Cosgrove. “B” Coy. - 9th Bn. shortly
before he fell at Hill 60 - (Page 5, Artefacts - Graphic & Print)
- Current photos (Press) of the Boar`s Head Commemorations at the weekend............with members of the Brighton Branch - (on the "Current News" block - Boar`s Head Commemorations
- BAILEY 7
- Bronze & Silver Meddalions to Cpl. E. Brand, for Batt. Combat Drills at the Royal Tournament 1930 (Page 5, Artefacts - Various)
- The new Regimental Memorial to the Battle of Boar`s Head - on "Current News" & on Page 10.
- The website`s hommage on the fallen of the Battle of the Somme - At the Head of the Homepage.
New & Latest items/entries posted after 1st July 2017
As we leave June behind us, July is here and
The 100th commemoration of the Battle of the Somme is upon
us.........there are 46 new items
posted here, for the month of June 2017. There are persons, artefacts and items from the media.
- BILLETT 1
- Badges of the SUSSEX RIFLE VOLUNTEERS, who later became 1st & 2nd Volunteer Bns. of the Royal Sussex Regiment and in WW1 became 16th (Volunteer) Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment. (Badges -
Shako, Helmet, Glengarry and Cross-Belts.)
- TAYLOR 11
- MOON 1
anon 266 - (The Anonymous Ones)
Solid Silver Tray/Salver to Maj. Gilbert DSO, showing the old badge of the 2nd Bn., (Page 5,
Artefacts - Silver)
Very rare, short-lived, temporary Cap-badge of the 2nd Bn, with "deflated" Plume,
(Page 4, Badges - Other Ranks)
- Very rare, short lived Glengarry Badge of the 35th (Sussex) Regt. of Foot - ca1870, (Page 4, Badges - Shako, Helmet &
Rare Officer`s Silver Cap-Badge made by a German silversmith,
(Page 4, Badges - Officer`s Cap-badges)
ALLEN 5 (new info)
- POWELL 1
- McNAB (Brig/Gen)
New & Latest entries posted after 18th June 2017
- The car of an unknown "Orange Lily" sited in Southend 18.6.2017 - (Page 5, Artefacts - Various)
- Unusual Sweetheart Brooch in enamel & gilt. Made of an oddly coloured alloy ? - Possibly Copper content or “fired” surface. - Die-stamped - Date NK - (Page 3, Jewellery - Sweetheart
- Beautiful 2nd Bn. Shooting Trophy - on Current News (above the Message Board & on Page 5, Artefacts - Silver)
- Hotchkiss MG Gunner L/Cpl. of a Southdown Bn. - (Homepage - "The Clerk")
- A soldier`s Regimental wool-work, from postwar India - (Page 5, Artefacts - Textile)
- CRUMP 1
- Gold & Enamel Sweetheart Brooch, 9ct, 5.8 gram - (Page 3, Jewellery - Sweetheart Brooches)
- HAYLER 1
- HUGGETT 1
- Solid Silver shooting badge to Pte. Briggs 4th Bn. - (Page 5, Artefacts - Various)
- Lt. "Monty" Smithers & Capt. Campbell - 2/6th Bn. in Peshawar 1917.
(The Regiment in Photographs - Page 2, WW1, 1917)
- WHEELER 4
- BARNES Shot at Dawn (2)
- Calender image, showing artefacts from the 2nd Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment, (earlier 3rd Bengal Regiment or 107th of Foot) - showing their old Colours in 1920.
(Page 9, The Regiment in Photographs - 1920`s)
- Order of Service for the Commemoration of the Battle of Boar`s Head & Memorial unveiling
30th June 2017 at the Old Steine, Brighton - (Now on "Current News", above the Message Board)
New book cover added (16th Bn.) - (Page 21, Bibliography)
anon 265 - (Page 6, The Anonymous Ones)
STOP PRESS - New
Page ! - "The Blue Beret" Magazine - The weekly reporting of our tour with the United Nations, from Nov 1972 to May 1973.- (Page 23, The Blue Beret
Cpl. "Big Will" Williams at UNFICYP Parade - (Page 9, The Regiment in Photographs - Page 21)
Freedom of Lewes, march-past 1953 - (Page 9, The Regiment in Photographs - Page 6 -1953)
Sweetheart Brooch in Gilt/Enamel, wrong colour - (Page 3, Jewellery - Sweetheart
Sweetheart Brooch in sterling Silver - missing colour ? - (Page 3, Jewellery - Sweetheart Brooches)
New items posted after the 1st June 2017
New & updated version (New pics) of our `In Memoriam` to Nicholas "Pancho" White
(Page 12, IN MEMORIAM & on Current News as he is being commemorated in the QRMW on
Extremely unusual medals (including Thailand) to V. H. Jaques SOE - (Page 5, Artefacts - Various)
The Silver Wound Badge (for lapel) in detail - (Page 3, Jewellery - Sweetheart Brooches & Other)
An array, showing all of the "real" & official badges of the Queens Regiment - (Page 4 - Badges - The Home Counties & the Queens Regiment)
Rare Cinque Ports Cap-badge of 1st Rifle Volunteers - (Page 4, Badges - 5th Cinque Ports Batt.)
Nine variations of the Officer`s Silver Cap-badge (various Silversmiths) - (Page 4, Badges - Officers)
The two Queens Regimental waistbelts of 1970 (Page 6, Uniforms - Uniform Artefacts)
2 pics of the rare Sweetheart-Brooch of the Queens Regt. - (Page 3, Jewellery - S/heart Brooches)
anon 263 - (Page 6, The Anonymous Ones)
anon 264 - (Page 6, The Anonymous Ones)
Dover recruiting poster to the Regiment 1914 - (Artefacts - Graphic & Print)
anon 262 - (Page 6 - The Anonymous Ones)
Large Regimental Poppy table-sculpture. Cast in bronze - (Page 5, Artefacts - Various)
New entries posted after 15th May 2017
Sir CONAN-DOYLE (edit)
Silver Regimental Drill-Cane to the 5th Bn. - (Page 5, Regimental Artefacts - Silver)
anon 255 - (Page 6, The Anonymous Ones)
anon 256 ( "
anon 257 ( "
Very old, crude Sweetheart brooch in (Sink Dye) Brass - (Page 3, Jewellery - Sweetheart Brooches)
Our "In Memoriam" to Lt. David Dumbleton, now posted on Current News & Page 12 In Memoriam.
A Regimental Ashtray in Trench-Art, made from a Shell-case - (Page 5, Artefacts - Various)
The story of the Arboretum Queen`s Badge - now on Current News (above the
In Memoriam for Les Phelps is now posted on Current News & Page12.
New entries posted after 1st May 2017